You will need to open the ILS Z RWY 10 charts of Carcassonne airport LFMK in France:
We will be flying the published hold over a NDB following the chart above:
- holding reference point is CS NDB
- inbound track is at heading 096° towards CS NDB or 276° track inbound CS NDB
- altitude to maintain is 3500ft
- outbound time is 1 minute using heading of 276°
- protection area imposes to use maximum speed of 170KT (maximum altitude 9000ft)
- exit track is 96° outbound of CS NDB
In this documentation, we will not take into account the effect of wind.
¶ Entry sector and aircraft initial parameters
We will enter into the holding using the parallel entry procedure.
- Our aircraft will have a heading equal to 340° and direct to the NDB CS
- We are currently at 170Kt (the maximum allowed speed to ensure holding protection)
- We are at 3500ft
- Do not forget to reset your time counter to 0.
¶ Overhead the station and turning onto offset track
Our aircraft is over the holding reference point: CS NDB.
- RMI indicator is turning, we are over NDB.
- We start a turn towards a 30° track to the end of outbound leg at heading 306° (teardrop track)
- When the turn at 306° heading is initiated start the timer and wait 1 minute.
The timer is reaching 1 minute. We should turn now toward the holding fix via the inbound heading 096°
- As we can undershoot the inbound track, we stop the turn 30° before the final heading : 126°
- When we are near the final track , we will turn to the wanted heading : 96° (anticipation angle is about 5° - turning at 96+5 = 101°)
We overfly now the holding fix for the end of the holding pattern.
- If we receive the approach clearance, or other exit clearance from ATC, we should follow the instructions.
- If we want to continue the holding, or we do not receive any other clearance from ATC, we should perform now a direct entry holding.
This is the final plotting of the performed track.
- Before turning at the teardrop heading, we took some time to react (few seconds) and also for the aircraft to turn to the track in comparison to the ideal one. But it is normal as NDB receivers are not accurate.
- We undershot the inbound leg and the 30° interception manoeuvre was performed.
- We intercepted the 276° track inbound NDB CS at heading 096°
- We continued the first half turn for a new holding pattern (direct entry).
- VID 200696 - Creation
- VID 150259 - Update
- VID 200696 - Wiki integration
- VID 496402 - Wiki.js integration