This briefing is created to help candidates understand the purpose of PP Exam.
The exam has two parts which shall be successfully validated in this order:
- Theoretical exam: complete successfully the SPP online test
- Practical exam: examiner will check your theoretical knowledge and your proficiency in basic IFR flight.
Before applying for this exam, you shall meet the following requirements:
The theoretical and practical exam can be requested by directly accessing your exam status page.
Rule: Requests for practical exams are only possible for members of active divisions. Members of inactive divisions shall have to change to an active division in order to get higher ratings (R&R 126.96.36.199).
Once your exam has been registered, the examiner will contact you via your e-mail address given on your personal details page. Before requesting for the exam, check that this e-mail address is valid since it is the only way for the examiner to get in touch with you.
We recommend you to do a practical training in your division prior to applying for this exam.
Warning: This manual is dedicated only for IVAO Network activities. This document must not be used in real aviation or in other networks
All theoretical exams consist of 20 randomly selected multiple-choice questions (MCQ).
- Each question includes 4 proposed answers among which only one is correct.
- You have a maximum of 45 minutes to fill in the examination paper, and should you exceed this limit, the exam will be automatically recorded as failed (default failed score = 0/100).
- These MCQ exams are automatically corrected (each question will be marked 0 for a wrong answer or 5 for a right answer).
- The pass-mark for the exam is 75/100 (corresponding to at least 15 correct answers).
- The theoretical questions are mainly extracted from our training documentation and software manual.
- All questions are based on ICAO/EU-OPS Rules and Regulations if not stated otherwise in the question.
Note that you can submit your answers as often as you want during the 45 minutes of the exam. Only the last submission will be taken into account. We greatly recommend you submit your examination paper on a regular basis in order to avoid to be marked 0 if you are disconnected or if you exceed the 45 minutes limit.
After your successful theoretical exam, you can apply for the practical part of the exam without delay.
Warning: Our system does not allow the resetting of theoretical exams, as in this case the same exam will appear again. Consequently, the Training department will always refuse to reset unfilled or timed out exams. In order to shorten the time for applying again, members should save their answers on a regular basis so as to avoid the exam being marked 0 if a disconnection or a time out occurs.
The SPP exam is a series of tasks to appreciate your basic IFR theoretical knowledge and your practical IFR flying skills in performing simple IFR exercices.
Note that these are our minimum standards. Your local division may have set additional requirements that should be published on its web site.
The training material is available on the IVAO website following these links below:
(Especially the following chapters: flight controls, flight instruments and aircraft performance)
Rule: You shall only use one IVAO Pilot client approved by the HQ training department for the exam. A list of such approved software can be found here.
We strongly recommend voice communication for the exam. We do not recommend a “text-text” or “text-voice” communication method due to the increased level of difficulty and incompatibilities with certain tasks.
Rule: When you are unable to use voice method due to a medical disability or a poor network connection, you shall contact the HQ Training Department before requesting the exam in order to establish an individual procedure.
Rule: You shall use real weather condition enabled. External weather sources are allowed but they shall generate weather as closed as possible of the IVAO METAR.
During the briefing or at some times during the flight, the examiner will ask you a few short questions regarding the following items:
Your examiner will check your ability to correctly use the main functions of the software, mainly:
You should connect at your departure airfield after the examiner asked you to do so, using the following call sign: EXM#### where #### are the last 4 digits of the exam number (or TRN#### where #### are the last 4 digits of the training number).
You should be aware of the following general requirements:
The test flight will mainly assess the following:
- IFR flight plan; we encourage you to carefully learn how to correctly fill a flight plan by referring to this document,
- IFR departure procedure (as published or prescribed by examiner),
- En route IFR navigation (accuracy of navigation based on radio navigation aids); during the flight, your examiner may ask you to make some exercises (turns to specified headings, climbs/descents to assigned altitude, crossing a defined fix at a specified altitude, intercepting and tracking some VOR radials),
- Standard IFR arrival procedure via a prescribed or published route,
- Hold over a VOR,
- ILS approach, including initial approach segment (as published or required by examiner),
- Missed approach,
- Phraseology (use of correct phraseology, prompt and accurate read back, proficiency in spoken English).
VID 150259 TDAM - Update 03 January 2020 - New Wiki integration and rewording.
2023 - Final Wiki.js integration and minor corrections (514786 - TDM)
¶ COPYRIGHT and DISCLAIMER
This documentation is copyrighted as part of the intellectual property of the International Virtual Aviation Organisation.
The content of this documentation is intended for aviation simulation only and must not be used for real aviation operation