This document sets out the process in place to appoint staff members under the age of 18, those who are aged 16 or 17 always into staff position(s) within a Division. The document relates to Divisional Staff positions only. Age restrictions on HQ Department and Divisional Director staff positions remain.
A joint agreement between the Board of Governors and the Executive Council has been reached, being the Executive Council the one executing the appointment(s) on a case-by-case basis. As agreed and in order to safeguard the member from external communications, those under age members can not be appointed into a Flight Operations, Membership or Public Relations role.
According to Regulation X.2.2, the following procedure should be followed:
- An email should be sent to the Executive Council in the first instance using the following structure:
- Subject. “UNDER 18 STAFF APPOINTMENT REQUEST - <INSERT CANDIDATE VID>”
- Content. The content of the email should contain the following information:
(a) The maturity of the proposed staff member and their motivation to undertake the position(s).
(b) The contact email address of the member’s parent or legal guardian who will be completing the Non-Disclosure Agreement for the member.
- The Executive Council will not vote on the proposal and rely on the judgement of Divisional HQs as to the appropriateness of the appointment of an individual.
- The Executive Council will advise the Board of Governors to issue a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) to the email address specified on the user’s profile and the email address previously provided for the member’s parent or legal guardian who will be signing the Non-Disclosure Agreement.
- The Board of Governors will advise the Executive Council on receipt of a completed Non-Disclosure Agreement.
- The Executive Council will advise the Divisional HQ that the appointment may now be executed and confirm they wish to continue appointing the member.
- On receipt of a positive response from the Division HQ, the Executive Council will appoint the member to the specified staff position(s).
- The removal of an on-trial status will need to be completed by the Executive Council.There is no vote by the Executive Council required to remove the “on-trial” status of the staff member. Division HQs will be unable to remove the on-trial status due to the protocol in place to halt the altering of members aged under 18. This will be actioned as soon as the email is received.
The appointment of the member to additional staff positions whilst the staff member is under 18 years of age follows the same process without the need for the parent or legal guardian’s email address and completion of a Non-Disclosure Agreement as this has already been attained.